Tuesday, November 3, 2015

in which i fangirl over my favorite band and update you on my 5 magic spindles progress

Hello, Blogspot. Long time no see! Does anyone actually read this blog? I think it might just be me. In any case, I'm long overdue for a post. Let me begin with some updates.

1. I'm at university! I'm surprised at myself for not writing about this sooner, but... yeah. It was a big transition at first, being so far away from all my friends, but I love living closer to my extended family. And I'm so much enjoying the city, and all of my classes, and all of the new friends I've made. I really do love it here! If you're a high school senior who's currently trying to get into college, I wish you the best of luck. I never thought I'd end up at the school I'm at. 

     My classes are really interesting!... well, mostly. I'm not a big fan of philosophy, even though the professor is cool, and even though I loved the subject when I took it in my senior year. Ah well. What has really taken me by surprise is how much I'm loving astronomy! I've always been fascinated by space, but being in this class has made me realize how little I truly know about the universe I'm living in. I didn't know that the moon orbits the earth on a tilted plane, which is why there isn't a solar/lunar eclipse every month. I didn't know that the reason you can't see certain constellations year-round is because the whole earth gets in the way. I didn't know that Venus rotates backwards or that Uranus is tipped over on its side and rotates north to south. I love the class so much that I'm considering a minor in Astronomy and Astrophysics in addition to my English major - but that would involve some epic math, which scares me...
     Outside of school, things here are amazing. The night before classes started I actually got to see my favorite band, Twenty One Pilots. They were incredible and sometimes I just can't believe how much their music has brightened my life and given me hope even in the darkest days. My life has been so much impacted by these two dorks from Ohio. Here's a photo or two, because I can't seem to upload videos.


Tyler Joseph!!!
Josh Dun!!!! (it's so blurry i weep but WORTH IT)

2. I got bangs. I love them. I've never felt more like me. Plus, people tell me that I look like Taylor Swift, who is QUEEN OF MY HEART. 


3. I'm working furiously to finish my Five Magic Spindles story contest entry by the deadline! There is so much work to be done on it that it sometimes feels a little overwhelming. But I really believe in this story, and I'm hoping and praying that I'll be able to make it the best it can be before December 31 arrives. I'm about 11,000 words in and that count is rapidly increasing... but the editing I'll have to undertake already feels daunting.
    I realize that I've never written about my story on this blog, so... let me fix that!
    My story is set in Ancient Greece. The protagonist is a dreamer of a princess named Eos who loves swordsmanship, the ocean, her best friend, Signy, and being right. She's coming of age, so her father - the king - throws a massive celebration. What he's trying to ignore is that years ago, the oracle warned him that on the night before her 18th birthday, his daughter would prick her finger on spindle and be swallowed by the sea. Enter a young man named Kelenaeus, a patron of the birthday festival who also happens to love skirmishes of the verbal and physical kind. He and Eos meet; a friendship is born. But forces conspire to keep the two apart... and the day of reckoning draws near.
    I'll write more about the story later, but I'm very much in love with it... even though it is a tiny, fragile bird whose wings are barely big enough to carry it. Hopefully I will be able to coax it into flight within the next two months! If you like, check out the story's Pinterest board. 

    Now, tell me what you're up to, O Humble Readers of My Blog!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julia! It's good to see you on ye old blogging site again! ;) Life is good and I am working on NaNoWriMo and trying not to get swept away by 18+ credit hours of classwork. Your story sounds interesting and I'd love to help you proof/edit. Just send it my way if you want to! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi!!! good to hear from you, too! heheh, good luck with your classes, and i'll let you know when the story is done! c:

      Delete